Monday, July 28, 2008

Oil Can Guitars, Part 1

I heard about a company in South Africa called Township Guitars that makes guitars out of motor oil cans. Apparently there is some debate about whether townshipguitars.com or townshipguitar.co.za is the real Township Guitars. I throw my support behind .co.za because they seem to be higher quality.

As you know, however, I cannot see something cool without attempting to copy it. I therefore embark on a motor oil can guitar journey of my own.

The original is made out of a 5-liter Catrol GTX can. I bought a 1 gallon vintage Singer oil can on ebay. It is slightly smaller, but I like the look. I also acquired a P-90 pickup, and a stop-tail bridge. I should be pretty good. Watch this space for details as it unfolds.

Good pictures here, here, here, and here. And here's a good article.

No comments: